We had to replace the old one because:
1) it did not have Intel
2) it was before the dual core processor (whatever that means - Ryan says that's important)
3) it did not even have enough juice to run iWeb any more (not even to start it up)
4) it crashed frequently
5) it ran out of hard drive space
6) if the computer crashed, we could risk losing everything
7) it was not fond of my over 10,000 pictures in iPhoto and
8) it would overheat so badly that you had to put it to sleep any time you weren't using it!
Because I work for a university, I receive a special educational discount from Apple. And if that weren't enough - everyone who buys a Mac receives a FREE iPod Touch!!
I am super excited at the prospect of (hopefully!!) getting an iPhone when our cell phone contract is up next April. Ryan's told me that he's not that interested in an iPhone (well he is but not the price nor the monthly fees for Internet services). Since the iPod Touch has everything the iPhone has except a phone, he can have this and then just use a regular cell phone (do they make those any more??) He can use the iPod Touch to access the Internet any place there's free WiFi so he'll be able to check his mail and surf the net. So you see, I get a new iMac and he gets an iPod Touch - it's a win-win situation! :-)
The only (slight) problem was that we were limited to what the bookstore had on their shelves - we couldn't have them build a new iMac for us. Because of this, we ended up with the GINORMOUS 24" monitor! It's kinda wacky to have something so large (we only have a 32" tube TV for heaven's sake!) but I think we'll get used to it. At least our eyes won't be straining to see the fine print!
Already bedecked with bears
Oh and lest you think Sarah does not get something out of this - Ryan's going to clean our old Mac of all the extra data and give it to her for her exclusive use. The one caveat is that it is NOT going in her bedroom. We trust her implicitly but we certainly do NOT trust the dark world that can be found very easily on the Internet.

ooooh, I love fun new toys!!! Enjoy yours!
ReplyDeleteCongrats! I know you had been wanting to upgrade. I love mine!
ReplyDeleteOh, wow, congrats! Looks awesome!
ReplyDeleteWe did not want to pay the hefty fees either, and while it is still quite a bit more than we paid for our "regular" cell service, we get a 15% discount off of service because we belong to MSTA (a state teacher's organization), which helped cover taxes and fees. Then we got the lowest talk and text plans. Every little bit helps! We wanted texting, and all the phones we looked at required a $20 or $30 data plan. THe iPhones required a $30 data plan, and they had models that cost the same as the other phones we were looking at, so we went for it. SQUEAL indeed! I hope you get one, they're super fun! :-)