We have a huge crop of tomatoes this year! It seems I go out to the garden each day and see more and more. I don't know if I should say "oh YAY" or "oh NO!" I've brought some into work and made more than a few batches of bruschetta and of course added them to burgers, sandwiches and tacos but they still keep coming! I found this delicious recipe in Reader's Digest. This soup is soooo yummy, especially paired with a salad or grilled cheese. We definitely give it three thumbs up!
Mark Bittman's Charred Tomato Bisque
Serve warm or chilled.
You Will Need
4 to 6 large ripe tomatoes
3 garlic cloves, smashed
Salt and pepper
2 or 3 tbs. olive oil
1 cup cream
1/2 cup basil leaves
What to Do
1. Heat broiler. Cut tomatoes into thin slices, and spread them out on a rimmed baking sheet; top with garlic, salt, and pepper, and drizzle olive oil over all.
2. Broil until tomatoes are beginning to blacken, turning as necessary, about 8 minutes total; remove garlic with tongs as soon as it turns golden.
3. Purée everything with cream and basil. Warm gently in saucepan or chill for a few minutes in freezer. Serve with grilled cheese sandwich or breadsticks.
Adapted from Mark Bittman's Kitchen Express by Mark Bittman (Simon & Schuster)
mmmm sounds yummy! My dad has a tomato garden and has been bringing them to our house so we can help him consume them. Have you made salsa yet??
ReplyDeletehey can you send me some of those tomatoes? our garden has been terrible. we have 8 tomato plants and still dont have any that are good to eat.... getting ready to tll it under :-( i soooooo love good home grown tomatos ,sigh>
ReplyDelete