Friday, September 11, 2009

I will never forget...




Eight years ago - wow! The feelings are still so fresh. I been crying just thinking about that horrendous day....

I remember leaving home to go to work. We never watch TV in the morning so I had no clue. I was listening to Hugh Hewitt on the radio. Most of the time, he is very laid back, jovial and humorous. He said nothing about the specifics but the minute I heard his voice, I instantly knew that something was terribly wrong. Then he spoke of what happened and interspersed with that was commentary from New York. I sat in stunned silence, driving along (and thank you Jesus for getting me safely to work that morning as my attention truly was not focused as it should have been on the road.)

I came into the office and saw my dear friend Holly (yes, Holly and Molly!) I immediately walked straight into her office and broke down. I hadn't even seen any pictures or video yet but I knew in my heart that it would be horrifying. Added to the mix was the fact that Holly's husband was in the Navy so I was worried for him and what their future would hold.

I remember next going into the office of the director of admissions. Steve was the only one who had a TV and the entire staff was squished around it watching in horror. Steve hadn't arrived yet and I so dreaded seeing him, as he grew up in New York City. I knew he'd have friends and possibly family at risk. I will never forget the look on his face when he walked in the door - he just looked broken and so sad. While his family was spared, he did lose friends that he went to school with. That really brought it home for me.

The rest of the time at work was spent watching TV and refreshing all the news sites every three seconds. The absolute horror of seeing the pictures - the planes, the people jumping - oh my word, it's horrible to even type - I will never forget!

I will also never forget driving home via Interstate 5. There was absolutely NO movement at Lindbergh Airport. And more amazing was the fact that there were no Navy ships in port. The decision was made to pull them all out of the San Diego Bay in case they became targets - that thought alone just sent shivers down my spine. I remember my mom telling me of trips to San Diego during World War II - no lights on, no activity at night, especially after Pearl Harbor.

The days following were spent watching TV. We didn't have cable so we were somewhat limited to the three national stations which obviously covered the news non-stop. It was important that Sarah, then six years old, be somewhat exposed and yet spared from the horrors but it was next to impossible. Everywhere we went, if there was a TV, the news was what was on.

Eight years later and lives will never be the same. The first responders everywhere have been further elevated in our hearts and minds, as it should be. I will never forget that they ran in where others were trying to escape. The stories of the heroes - first responders, military and civilian alike - still gives me goosebumps.

And is it wrong for me to be a bit saddened that it takes a tragedy to pull this nation together? But then I think about it - good people are out there every day doing good things. We just don't always get to hear their stories and thank them for their kindness. Loving hands holding the dying, doctors and nurses fighting for the living, our military men and women in all parts of the world, separated from their family because they want to protect us, those ministering to the homeless and poor -- I could think of a million more examples. For those who do good to their fellow man, I say with deepest passion - "thank you!"

3 comments:

  1. Awesome, Molly! Thank you for shaing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mind if I steal your blog space to add my 2 cents? ;) I was pg with Dawson, I wondered often what the world was coming to and had nightmares constantly. Wondered if I was crazy to even think about bringing a child into the world. I watched live as the 2nd plane hit :| I sat stunned and blank...I watched people jumping to their death. I cried in horror. Every Friday I try as I may to wear red, it's a small thing to do just to say thank you to all the troops that are keeping us free and safe. Since Dawson wears a uniform to school he proudly wears a Canadian flag pin on his collar. Not many people know that this is the reason, but it's in our hearts and that's what counts. I'm very thankful. {hugs Molly} :)

    ReplyDelete