Monday, July 13, 2009

Yippee Skippy! :-)

We use our "backroom" about 70 percent of the time we're home. The room is actually a large (about 500 square feet) enclosed patio room. It houses our TV, Wii, iMac and family dinner table so it's a popular hangout. The top half of the walls in the room are are sliding windows which are lovely. The bottom half and the roof are made of metal. Our house is east/west facing. So as you can well imagine, the backroom can get incredibly hot, especially during the summer months!



I am not a heat kinda person. In fact, I can't stand it and have been known to get grumpy when the house is unbearably hot (it can get in the 90s inside). God bless my dear friends in El Centro, Palm Springs and parts of the Zone (aka Arizona) but I just don't get the attraction! Temperatures in the 70s make me quite happy!

Since our house was built in 1949, we don't have a whole house air conditioner, only one window unit in each of the bedrooms and one in our living room (which faces the west and get get pretty hot too.) Yesterday, as I was sitting at the computer in the backroom, I was literally dripping with sweat. I turned to Ryan, in my most pleading voice and asked if we could just consider the possibility an air conditioner for the backroom. Now, we've been trying desperatly to get out of the financial hole we're in so I expected an immediate and completely understandable "no". But I got a "maybe"! Woohoo! Ryan said that we paid off a bill last month so if Sears had a no-interest, no-payment option, we could consider it. Well what do you know? They just happened to be having such a sale. In a matter of one hour from the moment I asked the question, we were back home and Ryan was installing the new portable air conditioner!! I sit here now, typing away in a very nice air conditioned room! Yippee Skippy indeed!




2 comments:

  1. Very nice! I can't imagine not having a/c in part of my house. Here in Texas that is just not an option. I'm sure you will enjoy your back room even more now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woot! So glad you will be more comfortable now :)

    ReplyDelete